Lake Fenton Community Schools was one of the last school districts in Genesee County to be consolidated in its current form (but not the last—see Carman-Ainsworth Community Schools), and the last consolidated school district in that county to have a high school of its own. The Lake Fenton Community School was built in 1956 to replace several one-room schools in Fenton Township. The plan called for a grade to be added each year until to served Kindergarten through 12th grade. The addition of the high school grades became possible in 1959 with the construction of a high school wing to the building on 11425 Torrey Road.
The most gradual change to the Lake Fenton Community School was the construction of a separate school building for Kindergarten through 6th grades, which came in the late 1960s with the opening of the West Shore Elementary/Torrey Hill Middle School complex. Lake Fenton High School now served 7th through 12th grades. The school became overcrowded again in the 2000s and in 2004, the current high school on Lahring Road, which carries a Linden mailing address, opened. The 1956 Lake Fenton Community School is today Lake Fenton Middle School, serving 6th through 8th grades.